Vicky is a freelance Artist, illustrator, digital colourist and Craftworker based in Lochcarron in the North West Coast of the Scottish Highlands. She is also a retained Fire Fighter and ‘Community facilitator’.
She spends a lot of time on community projects and has 20 years experience of running, organising & delivering Arts and Crafts workshops, classes and events, including Hi-Ex, The Highlands International Comic Expo.
Trained in Ceramics at Edinburgh College of Art in the 1980′s and ran ‘Balnacra Pottery’ 1995 – 2005.
Vicky explores the area between creative self expression and communication with others, seeking ways of creating accessible art without compromising it. She very involved with community and local politics, seeing all things as connected and using art to bring people together. There is a narrative element throughout her artwork. Her work has been widely published and regularly appears in graphic Novels and books.
Her inspirational journey starts with ancient myth and epic, people and places, nature, the Pict and Celts- it winds romantically, idealistically through Forests and green places, across the sea where the call of the steppes and the ancient Scythian cultures lure- pulling between Western shores and strange imagined Eastern lands.
- Group Christmas shows 2012, Inchmore Gallery, The schoolhouse Dornie, Beauly Gallery.
- Comic concept Poster art currently exhibiting in Scotland House, Brussels.
- exhibited in Edinburgh and Inverness with ‘Reactions to Vysotsky’ August 2011
- Contributed to Trees for Life charity Exhibition 2012
- Joint exhibition in Weatherford Offices, Aberdeen spring 2011.
- Participated in Rock Trust charity postcard art exhibition 2011
- Participation in Highland Russian connections charity exhibition in the City of Novokuznetsk and Mariinsk, Siberia
- Art Exhibition & Christmas Fair, New Lodge, strathcarron 20th November to 5th December
- Winter 2010- Inverness airport, Figurative paintings.
- Winter 2010-2011 Inchmore Gallery
- Exhibition in the Shishkin Gallery, Yelabuga Tatarstan, Russian 2010, of works produced during by the 5th International Arts symposium of Yelabuga, theme of ’Breath of the Epos’.
- May 2010 Highland open studios event.
- July 2009 Inchmore gallery-Firefighter art.
- June 2009. Highland Open studios event at the Lochcarron Fire station
- Participated in Panel discussion at Bristol Comics Exp 2012 with launch of Book Bayou Arcana.
- did design work and involved with SKY1 programme currently under production ” the great Treehouse Challenge”
- contributed to ‘The Spirit of Hope’ Japan relief fundraising Comic book put together by the Comic Book Alliance. BBC report HERE
- Appearing as a Guest at The National Irish Sci-Fi Convention- Octocon 2011
- was a guest at 2D the Northern Ireland Comics Festival 2nd -4th June 2011
- Exhibitor & Panelist at Bristol Comic Expo 2011 ‘Slaughterman’s Creed’ and ‘Women, Politics and Cartoons’
- Appeared as a Guest at The National Irish Sci-Fi Convention- Octocon 2010
- Participation In the 5th International Arts symposium of Yelabuga, Tatarstan, Russian 2010, theme of ’Breath of the Epos’
- mosaic interpretive panels on bio-diversity & heritage for the Smithy Heritage Centre 2010
- March-April 2008, Recycled Art installation/seating area at Alness Academy,
- Participated in the Highland Printmakers ‘Lochcarron Animation project’ 2007, produced “The Giant of Lochcarron” short film.
- August 2007, worked in 4 west coast primary schools to produce banners and murals for the Blas Festival. Textiles and mosaics.
- 20th July 2008. ‘How to draw Comics’ with the BBC ‘BLAST’ Tour. Inverness.
- many others- information on request
- Digital Eden project 2006, Bursary to create animation film for the Inverness film festival.
- shortlisted for 2010 Highlands and Islands Fire & Rescue service Commitment to Excellence awards- Community and Youth involvment.